It's taken me much longer than i'd like to complete this next stage! I wanted to read all of the pattern changing advice before making my toile to try and minimize final fitting problems.
I agonised for ages over which size to make and after reading all of the comments about how it was quite loose, went for the smallest size I thought I could get away with (4).
I made a narrow shoulder adjustment before the toile as well as I always have a problem in that area. I followed the sewalong instructions - at first confused about the differing amounts of seam allowance on the example picture, but this was handily explained in the comments section (different amount of SE for bias binding on sleeves to inserted sleeves.)
The toile was really easy to make as it's such a simple pattern, so it made up for all of the time i wasted waiting for the new instructions to come out!
The fit was pretty good at first glance, but I had to make an adjustment on the shoulders as I don't have much of a shoulder slope and it was sitting away from my body at the neckline. I pinned the shoulder seam at the neck edge to fit, altered the seam on the machine and transferred the change to the pattern.
Below is a photo of the fit after this adjustment, it still sits up a little at the neckline, but I'm hoping the binding on the final garment will help with that!
I have quite a short torso so sometimes I have to alter the bust height on a top but I think it is ok here. It is perhaps something to think about in future if I want to remake the top.
The final adjust I made was to the sleeve - adjusting the bicep width. I am by no means muscly, but the sleeves seemed to be quite tight and pulled a little during extreme movement, so I thought I should add in a little extra room. Below is my attempt to alter the pattern following the sewalong instructions, so we shall have to see how it turns out on the final garment!
Next stop - cutting out the main fabric, I can't wait!
Ok, so part 2 of the sewalong is to gather materials. I printed out the pattern and spent a good deal of time crouched on the floor piecing it all together. Now i've just got to decide which size to try.
As for fabrics I gave in and went to the fabric shop (rather than using up something in my stash) where I bought two options. Firstly a bright green and pink cotton which has a large floral print and a soft plain blue chambray. I'm not sure which one i'm going to go with yet, i think i'll wait until I've made the toile and make a decision. I love the print and bright colours of the green, but I wonder whether the pleat will get lost in the pattern and therefore detract from the main design feature.
I have decided to take part in the Colette Patterns Sorbetto Sewalong!
The Sorbetto is a pattern i've been meaning to make forever. I have actually got it printed out somewhere but i've never got around to actually making it. Now that Colette have updated the pattern further and created some design options I feel it's time to go for it.
I think i'm going to go for the short version with sleeves, as i'm cold far too often to wear anything sleeveless!
So....my jobs are to print out the pattern, wield the sellotape and stick it all together and decide on a size. Then I need to route around in my fabric stash to see if I've got anything suitable or if I can justify a trip to the fabric shop (I know which one my bank balance would prefer!).
Kim is a textile artist based in Portsmouth. She studied Illustration at Kingston University before becoming a textiles teacher. She combines the two disciplines to create retro inspired fabric artworks and playful images of pop culture.